4Sleep is a food supplement that combines melatonin, 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) and extracts of valerian and chamomile in an effective formula to promote the biological processes associated with relaxation, improvement of the quality of sleep and the reduction of the time necessary for your conciliation. The synergistic effect of the components of its formula provides a longer lasting relaxation and sleep induction effect.
🌙 Melatonin, the sleep hormone responsible for regulating sleep cycles.
🌙 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), the precursor and intermediate in the biosynthesis of serotonin and melatonin. 4Sleep’s 5-HTP is naturally obtained from the seed of the Griffonia simplicifolia plant.
🌙 Valerian root extract 3:1 (source of valerenic acid) increases our levels of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA), decreasing the activity of neurons, inducing sleep.
🌙 Chamomile flower extract 4:1 (source of apigenin) has sedative, anxiolytic and muscle relaxant properties.
4Sleep combines 4 powerful ingredients with the aim of facilitating the biological processes associated with falling asleep and promoting a calm and relaxed mood that increases the quality of sleep throughout the night.
4Sleep helps with occasional insomnia, so you don’t have to turn to over-the-counter sleep aids that are prone to generate addiction. With just 1 mg of melatonin, your body gets what it needs to start the process of falling asleep (1,2). The support of the extracts of valerian and chamomile help in the relaxation process that is essential for the maintenance of sleep. 5-HTP acts as a source of serotonin and melatonin (from their bioconversion in the body). Serotonin induces a relaxed and calm state of mind, and melatonin will act in a prolonged way in the consolidation of sleep.
🌙 Melatonin: it is the main hormone involved in regulating the oscillation between sleep/wake (circadian rhythm). When administered orally, it helps to induce sleep in people with insomnia, sleep disorders related to jet lag, shift work or circadian rhythm disorders in blind people. According to the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and the provisions of Regulation (EU) No. 432/2012 of the European Commission, melatonin helps to reduce the time to fall asleep. The beneficial effect is obtained with 1 mg of melatonin before going to sleep. EFSA also positively evaluated its effect on jet lag disorder. (1,2)
🌙 5-HTP: it is the precursor of both serotonin and melatonin. During the day, due to the presence of light, the pineal gland produces an enzyme that converts 5-HTP into serotonin. Serotonin plays a key role in regulating almost all integrative functions of the central nervous system, such as mood, anxiety, stress, aggression, appetite, cognitive function, and sexual behavior (3). At night after the action of other enzymes, serotonin is converted into melatonin (4) described in the previous section. Nutribiolite 4Sleep’s L-5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is obtained naturally from the Griffonia simplicifolia plant, an African species whose seeds are very rich in this amino acid. Several health claims regarding Griffonia are under evaluation by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), such as its effect to improve brain activity (5).
🌙 Valerian root extract (Valeriana officinalis L.): it is indicated in cases of nervousness or anxiety and in sleep disorders (6). Scientific studies suggest that valerian increases the levels of a chemical known as gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA decreases the activity of neurons in the brain and central nervous system, increasing relaxation, reducing stress, and shortening the time to fall asleep (7). Several health claims regarding valerian are under evaluation by EFSA, such as: it helps to initiate sleep and maintain its normal quality / provides support for mental well-being in cases of tension and stress / contributes to optimal relaxation (8).
🌙 Chamomile flower extract (Matrecaria chamomilla L.): Apigenin is a very abundant bioflavonoid in chamomile flower extract that exerts a sedative and anxiolytic effect, along with muscle relaxing effects, due to its connection with the benzodiazepine receptors in the brain (9). Several health claims regarding chamomile are under evaluation by EFSA, such as: contributes to optimal relaxation / helps support relaxation and mental and physical well-being / contributes to normalcy helps maintain healthy sleep (10) .
(1) European Food Safety Authority (EFSA): Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of a health claim related to melatonin and reduction of sleep onset latency (ID 1698, 1780, 4080) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/20061
(2) Commission Regulation (EU) No 432/2012 of 16 May 2012 establishing a list of permitted health claims made on foods, other than those referring to the reduction of disease risk and to children’s development and health Text with EEA relevance
(3) Olivier, B. European journal of pharmacology 2015, 753, 2.
(4) Zagajewski, J.; Drozdowicz, D.; Brzozowska, I.; Hubalewska-Mazgaj, M.; Stelmaszynska, T.; Laidler, P. M.; Brzozowski, T. Journal of physiology and pharmacology : an official journal of the Polish Physiological Society 2012, 63, 613.
(5) European Commission compilation list, under EFSA validation (ID 2446).
(6) Becker, A.; Felgentreff, F.; Schröder, H.; Meier, B.; Brattström, A. BMC complementary and alternative medicine 2014, 14, 267.
(7) Khom, S.; Baburin, I.; Timin, E.; Hohaus, A.; Trauner, G.; Kopp, B.; Hering, S. Neuropharmacology 2007, 53, 178.
(8) European Commission compilation list, under EFSA validation (ID 4222).
(9) Avallone, R.; Zanoli, P.; Puia, G.; Kleinschnitz, M.; Schreier, P.; Baraldi, M. Biochemical pharmacology 2000, 59, 1387.
(10) European Commission compilation list, under EFSA validation (ID 2088).
|Valerian root extract, 3:1 (Valeriana officinalis L.)||110|
|Chamomile flowers extract, 4:1 (Matrecaria chamomilla L.)||110|
|Griffonia seed extract, 25:1 (98% 5HTP) [Griffonia simplicifolia (DC.) Baill.]||50|
- 1 capsule.